Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My First Time

i remember my first time fondly. 

i had quit my job and found myself in-between places. here i was unemployed with a lot of time on my hands and bitter -- oh, so bitter -- when a friend of mine suggested i fill my idle time with some korean drama love.

i had heard about korean dramas often in high school and college. my asian american friends would sit at home with their asian mothers and laugh at the silly plots and cry when the characters got cancer (they always get cancer.), but other than a giggle or two here and cancer there, i knew nothing else about the illuminating world of kdramas.

so when my friend suggested i watch "12 Signs of Love" because "it's cute," i said okay. why not? what else was i going to do with 8 hours of my day -- walking to and from the fridge could only eat up so much time.

for the most part, it was entertaining and nothing else. it filled my time and gave me something to do while i ate away my sorrows. that was until the very moment that Bae Geu Rin's perfectly plastic and unmoving face lit up my laptop screen. it was clearly plastic from tip to toe and it was fucking perfect.



i wanted to simultaneously brush my fingers across her deeply doubled eyelids and lick the tip of her high, pointy nose to see if it tasted like a plastic water bottle. 

i was in love with this world that thought such extreme perfection was okay. not a pimple in sight, the natural curves of an unsoldered face was no where to be found. and it was amazing.

from that point on, i devoured kdramas like a city hunter patrolling the world of internet-television for every small-faced, pointy chinned starlet and star-man that i could find. they all looked the same, and i fucking loved it. 

korean dramas, and the characters who dance, karaoke, drink, fight, fall in love, and not-sex-each other in them, are like an explosion of glitter mixed with giant doll eyes and lots and lots of sweaters. it's a fun escape from the borrringggg real world where there's more than 1 face shape and no one makes dramatic u-turns in ferraris in the middle of busy intersections.

join me as i continue to gorge myself on every drama series i can get a hold of here in the US and for my never-ending quest to lick all the pretty plastic faces in the world of korean dramas.

and if you have suggestions on any drama series (korean or not) that i should check out, please leave them in the comments section.

hana, dul, set! press play and say yes to pretty plastic faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment